Our privacy commitment to you
The Electrical and Communications Association of Western Australia Inc. (hereinafter referred to as ‘ECA WA’) is committed to protecting your privacy and ensuring the security of your personal information.
ECA WA maintains all personal information in accordance with the 13 Australian Privacy Principles in the Act, which regulate how ECA WA collects, uses and maintains the security of your personal information.
Collection of Personal Information
The type of personal information that we may collect and hold about you depends upon the circumstances (for example if you are an employee or ECA WA member) and may include:
Your name, date of birth, phone numbers, fax numbers, address, e-mail addresses, information on the services you use, employment applications and history, financial details and business information.
We will not collect or hold sensitive information without your consent, and will only collect sensitive information when it is reasonably necessary for one or more of ECA WA’s functions or activities. If we receive sensitive information about you that we have not requested from you, or personal information that we could not have collected from you, we will destroy that information where lawful and reasonable to do so.
Wherever possible, we will collect personal information directly from you. You may decide to provide your personal information to ECA WA for and in a range of different reasons and means. By way of example:
- when you complete a membership or apprenticeship application;
- when you complete an annual return;
- when you register to attend events held by ECA WA;
- when you request ECA WA to undertake services on your behalf;
- when you wish to provide services to ECA WA;
- when you enter a competition or promotion being conducted by ECA WA;
- when you email ECA WA or contact ECA WA by telephone or mail;
- when you engage in ECA WA Social Media activities;
- when you purchase tickets to attend a ECA WA event;
- when you send us documents containing your personal information;
- when you meet with one or more representatives of ECA WA; and
- if you become an office holder of ECA WA.
We may also collect information from other sources such as written material sent to us, and publicly available sources such as newspapers, directories and public registers.
Use of Personal Information
In general, we will only use information that we hold about you for the purposes of performing our function as your employer, your industry representative organisation, and/or in the provision of products and services to you.
The personal information we collect from you may be used in some or all of the following ways:
- to assist in assessment and/or placement as an apprentice or employee
- to deliver and invoice you for any product purchases or event attendance
- to provide you with information that we think may be of assistance or interest to you or your organisation
- to assist in market research
- to improve our service and communications
- to attract new members and clients to ECA WA
- to lobby government agencies and to publicise issues of concern to member organisations
- to comply with a law that requires the furnishing of such information to a Government regulator.
We may use your personal information to provide you with information about ECA WA products, services and events which we consider may be of interest to you.
We will consider that you consent to this, unless you opt out. You may opt out at any time if you no longer wish to receive marketing information or do not wish to receive marketing information by way of a particular communication method, such as email. You can make this request by contacting the General Manager ECA WA Member Services (see contact details below).
The personal information that ECA WA collects from or about you may also be used for secondary purposes such as assisting ECA WA to develop products and services for our employees, contractors, members, or entities to which we provide products or services.
What happens if you don’t provide the information requested?
If you choose not to provide the personal information that we ask for, or the information that you provide to us is incomplete or inaccurate, ECA WA may be unable or unwilling to:
- maintain effective contact with you;
- employ or engage your services as a contractor;
- effectively manage your membership; or
- offer you the full range of benefits and services that might otherwise be available to you.
Disclosure of Personal Information
Generally, we will not provide your personal details to any other person or organisation other than:
- organisations to which you have authorised us to provide your personal details;
- service providers such as printers and posting services and organisations involved in the provision and maintenance of our business systems and infrastructure;
- organisations to which by law we may be required or authorised to provide your personal details;
- external agencies providing services for the purpose of data matching, cleansing or enrichment;
- external agencies engaged to survey the membership on behalf of, or at the request of ECA WA;
- our auditors and other professional advisers;
- our representatives, such as our legal advisers;
- organisations engaged by, in partnership with or other service providers of ECA WA for the purpose of establishing or administering services and promotions to ECA WA members and prospective members, such as insurance, uniforms, software providers and access hire; and
- Host employers for the purposes of placing an apprentice.
We will not disclose personal information we collect to third parties for the purpose of allowing those third parties to engage in direct marketing of their products and services to you or your organisation.
Where your personal information is disclosed to service providers and other organisations, ECA WA will seek to ensure that your personal information is handled in accordance with the Act (as amended or replaced from time to time) and is not disclosed for any purpose other than those to which you have consented (unless required or authorised by or under an Australian law or court/tribunal order).
Strict procedures are in place to ensure that our service providers have appropriate systems in place to comply with privacy laws and keep your personal information confidential and secure.
We will not disclose your personal information overseas.
Use of mail house
ECA WA may use mail houses to send you magazines, newsletters and/or information about third party products and services. When this occurs, a non-disclosure agreement is signed by the mail house to ensure that your personal information is not disclosed to any other party and remains under the control of ECA WA.
Opting out of receiving this additional information
If you do not want to receive marketing material from ECA WA, you can by contacting the General Manager ECA WA Member Services (see Contact details below) or use the Unsubscribe function on electronic communications.
If you purchase a product or service using a credit card, your credit card information is used to process the payment. Credit card details are not stored and our database only records that you purchased a product or service and how much you paid for it. We will protect the security your credit card details when processing your payment.
Storage and Security of Personal Information
ECA WA will take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, loss and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. When the information is no longer needed for any purpose for which the information may be used or disclosed, it will be destroyed or permanently de-identified.
Links on our website
Access to your personal information
You have the right to know what personal information ECA WA holds about you and to obtain access to it if required.
To access personal information that we hold about you please contact the General Manager ECA WA Member Services (see Contact details below). You may need to provide proof of your identity before access is provided.
We will respond to your request for access within a reasonable timeframe. If we refuse to give you access to any of your personal information, we will provide you with reasons for the refusal. You can contact us (see Contact details below) if you would like to challenge our decision to refuse access.
Updating your personal information
It is important that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and up to date. You can update your personal information anytime via our secure Member Access online facility or you have the right to request that ECA WA take reasonable steps to correct any personal information that you believe is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading having regard to the purpose for which it is being held. You may need to provide proof of your identity before access is provided.
You can also contact us in writing at the address provided below (see Contact details below).
Our Online Services
If you log into your Membership online account, ECA WA will collect personal information from you including your name, contact details and changes to your account such as a change in address, purchase of products and services. We can only collect personal information via our website with your consent, as you must log in and/or click on a ‘submit’ button provided on each transaction before any information is recorded.
You can only access the Member online facility with your membership number and password. You should keep your password secure and change it periodically. You should also ensure that you log off once you have finished accessing the Member online facility to ensure that no one else can access your personal information.
There are security risks associated with transmitting your personal information via the internet. You should assess these potential risks before deciding whether or not to use ECA WA’s Member Area online services. If you would prefer not to transmit your personal information via the internet, you can provide it to ECA WA by mail or telephone.
Use of your email address
It is our policy to record and use your email address to communicate with you about the activities of ECA WA, including but not limited to events, industry news, benefits of membership, member benefits, member services and member promotions. If you do not wish to receive information from ECA WA via email you can make this request by contacting The General Manager ECA WA Member Services (see Contact details below).
Your email address will only be used by ECA WA for the purposes identified above and it will not be added to a general mailing list.
Questions and complaints
Aidan O’Grady, General Manager ECA WA Member Services
Phone: (08) 6241 6100
Fax: (08) 9240 4866
Post: PO Box 782, Balcatta WA 6914
If we receive a privacy complaint it will be treated seriously and dealt with promptly, in a confidential manner, and in accordance with ECA WA internal complaints handling procedures.
In the event that your complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may refer your complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) using the online Privacy Complaints Form, which can be accessed via the OAIC’s website at http://www.oaic.gov.au/privacy/making-a-privacy-complaint. The OAIC can also receive complaints via mail, fax or email using the details provided below. If you need help lodging a complaint, you can call the OAIC enquiries line on 1300 363 992.
Director of Compliance (Investigations)
GPO Box 5218
SYDNEY NSW 2001
Ph: 1300 363 992
Fax: (02) 9284 9666